Through these circular neoclassical arches was the entrance and exit of the walled sea city from 1842. In the foreground we can see the monumental fountain of the Geni Català dedicated to the Marquis of Camposagrado, in 1856 the Captain General of Catalonia. El Portal de Mar (gateway to the sea) gave way to the fountain in 1859 when it was demolished along with the sea wall.
image91