Julio Valdes, then deputy director of the Port of Barcelona, designed this 1907 building.  A French influenced eclectic style, it was designed to process incoming and outgoing sea travellers so on the ground floor there was a large hall with facilities such as post offices and customs.


On the first floor, with a romantic modernist décor, was the “Mundial Palace”, a classy cafe – restaurant and the second floor was where employees were lodged. In 1918 it became the headquarters of the Board of Port Works and is now the official headquarters of the Port Authority of Barcelona.