On June 9th 1359 the Barcelona waterfront was occupied by a Genoese and Castilian vessels which attempted to attack the city. The attempt was unsuccessful but the shock prompted the belief that walls should protect the coast. In fact, it was the only part of town that was not protected.
The works took a long time to be designed and constructed but finally in 1475 Barcelona had its seawall. An elevated walkway, which connected the shipyard with Antonio López Square. The wall remained standing until 1873 when work began on its demolition. Currently the old route of the wall consists of three levels: the Paseo de Colón, the Moll de la Fusta and the Ronda Litoral.