On March 11th 1908 in the morning, amid great excitement, King Alfonso XIII came to the
pavilion of the Portal de la Pau, where he was received by Ròmul Bosch – Alsina (Chairman
of the Board of Harbour Works) to visit the Austrian squadron. As seen in the image, they
maintained the custom of making big welcomes on the occasion of the visit of the monarch
as in previous centuries.
In these cases the whole city was decked with decorations of ephemeral architecture. The
pavilion was decorated with flowers and carpets for the occasion. Around the steps to the
Portal de la Pau there were all types of sailing vessels full of people who did not want to
miss the visit of the monarch.